di Raimondo Chiricozzi
From a careful examination of the PNRR document, approved by the Council of Ministers, with respect to mobility, there is a small change that considers rail mobility a priority. This is not a complete U-turn. It is just a beginning that we hope Parliament will complete in its entirety, avoiding the pressures that will surely be implemented by private companies that have always favored road transport over rail.
In fact, despite the expenditure of 32 billion euros for the railway part to create a sustainable infrastructure system and bridge the North-South gap, it does not achieve what would be desirable also in Italy, namely that above all freight transport is removed from the roads. in order to reduce environmental pollution.
'Infrastructure for sustainable mobility' is one of the proposals of the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (PNRR), which responds to Europe's request to create a modern mobility infrastructure system and a competitive and sustainable port system.
For implementation, the Government has decided to add to the resources of the Next Generation EU, the ordinary budget resources and those of the Development and Cohesion Fund (FSC) 2021-2027. We recall that this latter fund is already destined for at least 80% to the South.
Interventions are planned to speed up the main passenger lines and increase the capacity of rail freight transport, along the priority axes of the North-South country and only theoretically also affirms East-West.
Due to its location, Italy is a large port lying in the Mediterranean and the PNRR rightly acknowledges it, but it still does not fully favor the development of the Mediterranean corridors and in particular the improvement of transversal mobility for the achievement of TEN T through the iron.
The territorial rebalancing and development of the South are one of the priorities decided by the European Commission, together with the empowerment of women and the growth of the employment prospects of young people.
Pursuing territorial rebalancing - reads the PNRR - means reducing territorial gaps and freeing the unexpressed development potential of the South, maximizing projects aimed at pursuing this objective, which also applies as a priority criterion for territorial allocation of interventions.
The plan rightly speaks of territorial rebalancing, but does not define how it intends to rebalance the territory of Central Italy and Tuscia.
The whole Plan, we repeat it again, is a positive fact, since it can, by implementing European directives, reduce the impact of mobility on the environment. The railway choice is now inevitable. The Plan considers it in part, it is up to Parliament to complete it, if we really want to rebalance the territory and create development in all territorial areas.
14% of the total of 229 € -bn of the PNRR is divided as follows: funds allocated to the FS group are € 28,3 billion (for HS and road maintenance 4.0); added to the funds for intermodality and integrated logistics, of € 3,68 billion, they give a total of € 31,98 billion to infrastructures for sustainable mobility.
Since the breakdown, as in the following table, it is assumed that a large part of the allocation was allocated to the High Speed and too little to the reopening of disused or suspended railways and therefore the rebalancing of the whole Italian territory is not achieved in the least.
Therefore, it is not possible to see in the plan which funds are earmarked for the execution of the works for the recovery of the Ferrovia dei Due Mari in the section from Civitavecchia to Orte, as it is not directly expressed in the works concerning Central Italy, see page 98 PNRR.
Parliament could recover this guilty oversight and insert the Civitavecchia Orte railway in the PNRR as a recovery of the main function of the FC2M link (Central Railway of the two Seas). That is the need to have the complete functionality of the Civitavecchia - Ancona Railway to be allocated to the rebalancing of Collective Transport and, in particular, the rebalancing of both Freight and Passenger Rail Transport at the service of the Center-South for the improvement of railway functionality:
1. Port between Civitavecchia and Ancona with SCHEMA AD H (central connection of ports and railways)
2. Of the Vasta area of the Rome hub, in particular also with the construction of the Bridge Galeria - Pomezia road-rail corridor link and the Passo Corese-Rieti railway.
The Regional Council of Lazio approved on 5 November 2020 the resolution of the Council Dec 61, which proposes the priorities to be included in the PNRR and in particular inserts the Civitavecchia Orte railway line in the table as a connection for the TEN T1.
Furthermore, the Lazio Regional Council fully includes the reopening of Civitavecchia Orte in the Regional Transport Plan as a construction of the Due Mari Railway to connect the Tyrrhenian Sea-Civitavecchia with the Adriatic-Falconara-Ancona by rail.
The Provincial Council of Viterbo, in the meeting of January 18, 2021, reiterated the importance of the reopening of the Civitavecchia Capranica Orte or Ferrovia dei Due Mari by voting a motion unanimously.
It would also be interesting to compare the hypothesized figures in billions of euros for the works of Central Italy:
Orte Civitavecchia freeway last 15 km € 0,466 billion
Rome railway ring € 0,547 billion
Orte Falconara railway bn € 3,753 Civitavecchia Capranica Orte approx. 86 Km bn € 0,462
The project that establishes the figure of 462 million euros was carried out by ITALFERR, co-financed by the EU, the Lazio Region, the Central Northern Tyrrhenian Sea Port System Authority and the Central Italy Interport of Orte. Evaluations made by the railway technicians of the Committee for the reopening of the Civitavecchia Orte Railway establish the maximum amount of 250 million Euros for the restoration of the entire section including electrification).
If this is true, it can be inferred that the project made by ITALFERR is a pharaonic project. Furthermore, we can highlight that for the modernization of the former Rome-Pantano from narrow gauge to ordinary tramway or Roman tramway gauge (in addition to the planned 7 years of work with service suspensions for long stretches of km and new warehouses and electrifications ... in short, all NEW WITH GREAT WASTE OF WHAT THERE IS, it has the same order of magnitude of 25 million Euros as the Civitavecchia Capranica Orte railway.
However, it is clear how much more expensive road construction is than railways, regardless of the environmental disaster that road transport, especially freight, has caused and continues to propose. The province of Viterbo is also one of the provinces of Italy that has the highest number of registrations of private cars.
Comparing again the drafts of the PNRR we verified that in that of December 29th on page 27 we read in the chapter "Slow Tourism":
· "Description - The recovery of the historic railway lines and the connected FS historical heritage and the enhancement of the itineraries and the related tangible and intangible heritage is expected."
· "Timetable (milestone and target) - The milestones relating to Railways are:
- Selection of routes within the first quarter of 1;
- Start of works within 4Q2021.
0.10 billion, nature of the "investment" project
Historic Railways: FS Foundation through RFI.
In the latest version of the Government, this investment chapter has disappeared. A chapter of expenditure that we believe Parliament should ensure its restoration, defining it clearly. As was done in the then government document 46 (pages 11 and 12) also at the request of the Committee for the reopening of the Civitavecchia Capranica Orte Railway. In this it was specified that the expenditure chapter A03 called "A03 tourist enhancement of minor railways", today "historic railways" (Pindaric denominations!) But that they are none other than the railways listed in law 128/2017.
It should always be reiterated in institutional settings, to avoid attempts and the channeling of funds into other "streams" even outside this list.
Again in the draft PNRR document we read that the selection of the sections takes place within the first quarter of 2021; it is therefore requested that in the approval of the Parliament, the selection is made on the basis of three simple parameters:
1) Presence or not of a tourist railway operating within the region. Regions that do not yet have an operating tourist railway despite having it in the 128/2017 list must have priority.
2) The selection of the sections must be made on the basis of general deterioration and the potential damage of no longer being able to recover important artifacts and railway works.
3) The selection must be made by giving priority to those lines that have not yet been the subject of investments as per document 160 Program contract 2017-2021 MIT-RFI investment part.
In particular, then, it is necessary to request that the fund be raised to 0.168 billion so as to be able to cover 100% of the needs necessary for immediate and building site investments. (see attachment 2 from table "MIT-RFI contract n.160")
Table 1 tourist railways
Above it is highlighted that the funding concerning the railways goes largely to the HS and very little to the regional railways and nothing to the tourist railways, not included in the plan and this clearly favors the maintenance of road transport: "If the abandoned or suspended railways are not reopened, road transport will continue to the detriment of small villages, to the detriment of the rebalancing of the territory and development, to the detriment of the environment and health ".
Although the environmental disaster clearly indicates the priority of returning to railway mobility, the choices that favor roads continue and in particular with regard to the Civitavecchia Capranica Orte railway, attacks continue and the territory crossed, thus relegated to underdevelopment.
Lastly, the location made by Sogin which identifies 22 sites in the Viterbo area suitable for the creation of the single national repository for nuclear and radioactive waste. One of these, number 12, Sogin does not even realize that it has located it where there is a railway line in the former North Rome and a line suspended from operation the Capranica Orte section of the Ferrovia dei DUE Mari and where the transport plan of the Province of Viterbo allocates the hub for the creation of the Circumcimina railway ring at the service of the citizens of half of the Province of Viterbo. Circumcimina that could favor the railway network effect.
All the municipalities of the Viterbo area, the Bio district of Via Amerina, various cultural, environmental and health associations. the Province of Viterbo, the Lazio Region have sent documents clearly contrary to the location of the deposit in the Viterbo area, but the sword of Damocles is still pending.
Together with the Regional Transport Observatory, the committee for the reopening of the Civitavecchia Capranica Orte railway also expressed strong opposition to the localization of the national depot n 12.
Unfortunately for Civitavecchia Orte there is no peace.
Everyone affirms the validity of this railway: for the Freight service, as it directly connects the Port of Civitavecchia to the Central Italy Freight Village of Orte, for the passenger service, especially at this time for the safety of travelers by creating a greater offer and for the tourist service being included in the law for tourist railways 128/2017 and also considered the cruise port of Civitavecchia.
Although the importance of the railway is well known, dark forces push it away whenever one is close to the goal.
Yet in the end the great evidence of the reasons that make Civitavecchia Orte essential will determine the acceptance even of those who have rowed against it, exclusively for other interests. Citizens have the right to mobility and, on the contrary, they ask for the rebalancing and economic development of the territory.
January 25 2021
January 11 2021
Subject: hypothesis n ° 12 localization of the National Deposit in the province of Viterbo
The committee for the reopening of the Civitavecchia Capranica-Sutri Orte railway has requested the Regional Transport Observatory to take charge of sending a document to the regional council that considers the will of the committee for the railway of the two seas and the territory contrary to the settlement of deposits of radioactive waste, due to the presence of architectural heritage and natural monuments and the vocation of the same to tourism and quality agriculture to be transformed into organic agriculture.
DOCUMENT OF THE COMMITTEE FOR THE REOPENING OF THE
CIVITAVECCHIA CAPRANICA SUTRI ORTE RAILWAY
- given the supporting plan produced by Sogin;
- Given also the "exclusion criteria" referred to in ISPRA Technical Guide No. 29, specifically at point "CE13. " which reads:
that are at a distance of less than 1 km from motorways and main suburban roads e from railway lines fundamentals e complementary
The distance from these communication routes takes into account the possible impact on the warehouse linked to accidents involving the transport of dangerous goods (gases, flammable liquids, explosives, etc.)?
- Acquired that the area of the hypothesis of location of the site referred to in the object is completely longitudinally crossed by the "ex Roma Nord" railway whose site is owned by the Lazio Region and for a few months managed by ATAC SpA to then move in the second half of the CA to the management of the ASTRAL infrastructure and for operation to CoTraL SpA;
- That the same area in the hypothesis is tangentially crossed to the south by the Civitavecchia Capranica Orte railway, owned by the FS SpA Group - included in Law 128/2017 - therefore, as per the recent acquisition of the Infrastructure Manager - RFI SpA -, to the same the discipline referred to in Presidential Decree 753/1980 applies, in view of its mandatory re-circulation of trains;
- It cannot be ruled out that on railways in operation or under restoration, even if belonging to the complementary network (regardless of their current ownership), convoys with dangerous goods on board can circulate, nor can the dangerousness of the train itself be excluded, if subject to accidents , for the very particular "sensitivity" of the deposit in progress;
- As it is not admissible that a work - which can be located elsewhere, where the exclusion criteria referred to in the aforementioned ISPRA Guide do not exist - can heavily influence the type of operation to be carried out on the aforementioned railway infrastructures;
- Given the perfect belonging of the site referred to in the object to the exclusion criterion mentioned;
- Not being able to understand why Sogin did not pay attention to the attached IGM cartography, as well as to the satellite map which confirms what is already known, nor to the regional programming in place such as the PRMTL adopted by the Council, or to the national legislation, the aforementioned L. 128/2017, with reference to the Civitavecchia Capranica Orte railway, or the “present state of affairs” as regards the “Roma Viterbo” ATAC operated line;
We hereby ask the Lazio Regional Council:
- Resolve so that site no. 12 in question is previously excluded from those of possible location of the National Deposit of radioactive waste.
- FORMALLY start "ad horas" the procedures for restarting the operation of the Capranica Orte section of the Civitavecchia Orte railway, a section affected by the possible location and easy to reactivate, given the almost intact and complete presence of the infrastructure, which is also armed with UNI 60 rails in mostly, in order to avoid with other institutional bodies (Sogin or the Ministry of the Environment, for example) possible misunderstandings, artfully possible in the current state of suspension of the operation of the route.
COMMITTEE FOR THE REOPENING OF THE CIVITAVECCHIA CAPRANICASUTRI ORTE RAILWAY
certified e-mail (certified email): Trenodeiduemari@pec.it